At Great North Energy, we’re committed to making sure that you receive an excellent service from us well as striving hard to get things right first time for our customers. However, we know that occasionally we may get things wrong. If we get things wrong, just give us a call and we’ll make sure that we put things right for you quickly.

If however, you do decide to make a complain about any aspect of our service, please rest assured that we’ll take your complain seriously, work hard to resolve the problem and learn from your feedback to improve the way we deliver our services in the future. We’ll also keep you informed throughout the process so you know what is happening every step of the way. If your complaint relates to a problem with the delivery of your gas or electricity, we will pass it on to your network supply operator to investigate, as they are responsible for this

Tell us if you’re not happy

If you’re not happy with our service, get in touch straight away so we can fix it for you.

You can do this by:

To resolve your complaint we will:

  • Give you an explanation about what went wrong.
  • Put things right quickly.
  • Apologise if we’ve made a mistake.
  • Offer compensation, if we feel it’s appropriate. As a not-for-profit company we are different to other energy suppliers and will only pay compensation where we or our business partners have caused financial harm.

If you’re still not happy

We’ll talk to you about how we can work together to sort it out. You can also ask us to undertake an internal review of how we are handling your complaint. We’ll work hard to try and get a result that you’re happy with, but if you’re not, we’ll look into things again and you’ll receive what is called a ‘Final response’ (also known as a Deadlock Letter). This stage means that we haven’t been able to resolve things for you. In the letter, we’ll recap what’s happened as well as what we’ve suggested and give you contact details for the Energy Ombudsman should you wish to take it further.

Independent advice

For free, impartial energy advice you can contact the Citizens Advice Bureau. They can help and advise on getting help paying your energy bills, choosing the tariff that’s right for you and your circumstances, and comparing energy suppliers.

In England, you can call them on 03444 111 444.

In Wales, it’s 03444 77 20 20.

In Scotland it’s 0808 800 9060.

You can also visit their website (England and Wales) or (Scotland).

The Energy Ombudsman

This is an independent organisation that offers a free service to help resolve things between us once you’ve received a final response from us; or if eight weeks have lapsed since you made your complaint and things haven’t been fixed. They will make their independent decision and if you agree, we have to act in the way they say. This may mean that we have to apologise, explain what has gone wrong, correct the problem or give you a financial award. You do not have to accept their decision.

You can contact the Energy Ombudsman by:

  • Phone: 0330 440 1624
  • Textphone: 0330 440 1600
  • Fax: 0300 440 1625
  • Email:
  • Post: Ombudsman Services: Energy, PO Box 966, Warrington WA4 9DF

To find out more about the Energy Ombudsman, visit